Accounting for Finance

This Financial Accounting Boot Camp is specifically built as a pre-requisite for our finance, valuation, financial modeling and more complex course topics. The boot camp is structured as an interactive discussion in which we cover definitions and terminology through examples and case studies. Oftentimes, learning and teaching accounting is associated with boring definitions; however, our approach is to tell a story, and illustrate what the numbers mean through interesting examples, not by reading slides or textbooks. We emphasize, hone and re-hone concepts via one large integrated case study in which the focus is not on debits/credits and T-accounts, but rather financial analysis. This is geared towards those with little to no accounting background (e.g. liberal arts majors) and is perfect as a refresher of the most important concepts for those having previously taken "Accounting 101" courses.

Courses

Last 10 posts

Video Glitch
The last two minutes of the video for this module will noy play so I am not able to perform the exercise.
Go to post added 3 days ago
Cash Flow Statement: Future Minimum Cash Payments
Hi, during the 'How to Analyze a 10K' portion of my course, Mr. Lin mentions, "future minimum cash payments must be reflected on the cash flow statement." I'm curious where this would be included. Thanks so much for the help!
Go to post added 7 months ago
Question about Change in Comprehensive Income
Hi Mr. Lin, for the change in Comprehensive Income, you include (from the S/H - EQ section of the 10K): $963 (unrealized gain on derivative contracts, net of deferred tax expense of $643) and $678 (Other). Why don't you include $502 from the Balance Sheet (unrealized loss on interest rate swaps)?
Go to post added 7 months ago
Costco Interest Expense
For TGT and WMT, interest expense was taken as the gross total (including interest income). But, for COST only interest expense is included. Should that number be 144 instead of 34? (143.533 rounded, which is the interest expense (34,437) and interest income (109,096) summed to get gross interest)
Go to post added 2 years ago
Location of additional file that is referened?
Hello, Where can I find the exhibit for changes in NWC that Hamilton refers to? I can't seem to find it.
Quiz and Exam locations??
Hello, where are the quizzes that he referenced to?
How to Analyze a 10K: Bear Stearns example
Hi, I just had a concept in the Bear Stearns example in the “How to Analyze a 10K” module that I would like clarification on. From my understanding, Bear Stearns’ footnotes described that there were around 100MM outstanding shares of common stock, but within its footnotes they had describ... Read More
Go to post added 3 years ago
Zero coupon bond vs. non-interest bearing debt
on Liabilities Exercise on pg311. In the video, the instructor refers to effective method to calculate the expense and record the entry. Why don't we go with the non-interest bearing debt analysis? Since it is a zero-coupon bond, shouldn't it be considered a non-interesting bearing bond? The differe... Read More
Tax effects on cash flow
On pg.263, Exercise 1, the answer is the cash flow will not be influenced by the deferral cost. But shouldn't the effect on taxes be considered? So that a higher pre-tax income leads higher tax payments and then a lower cash flow. Looking forward to your reply!
Net Sales Consideration
At approximately 24:00 and afterward, Profit Margin was calculated as (1,265 / 12,065) on slide 249. (Which could also be written out as Net Sales / Net Income). Since we are only looking at core operations and removing Other Income in the denominator, wouldn't it be more correct to remove the effec... Read More