Trading Comps Overview

Questions/Discussions

Sort by Date ▼ / Top Rated

Register for free or log in at the top right of this page to join the discussion
Questions on calculating items for multiples (9 questions)
Multiples 1. For P/E, you only use net income from continued operations and income to common shareholders (excluding minority interest), correct? 2. Do you need to take out the EBITDA from discontinued operation from EV/EBITDA? usually EBITDA isn’t broken out that way and I don’t know if t... Read More
Relationship between P/E and inverse of P/E (2 questions)
Hi! First, awesome videos! Follow up questions on multiples, esp for listed companies valuation when analysing a stock in a long short fund context: 1. Is inverse of P/E = earnings yield = cost of equity? I was looking through this link and it states that this statement is wrong ie inverse o... Read More
Adjustments for non-recurring items to calculate adjusted EV/FCFF or other cashflow ratios
i. Does this mean you have to adjust for cashflow statement and balance sheets? Can you give an example for such adjustments for items that affects both cashflow statements and balance sheets? e.g. deferred tax impairments etc
Complex Trading Comps Analysis
Hi,

For Costco Corporation, there is a tax benefit of $13,895 associated with lower state tax in the fourth quarter and it has mentioned a few times in the 10K. Why don't we need to make any adjustment on the EPS? Thanks.
Show All 3 Replies Login to Reply
added 10 years ago
Tr Comps overview questions
Hi there, A couple of doubts here on this module: (1). Why do we generally adjust the financials with the marginal tax rate? Any special reason / rationale to use marginal tax rate instead of effective tax rate for these adjustments? (2). Should we consider Preferred Stock within the "Total... Read More
Show All 1 Replies Login to Reply
added 10 years ago
trading comps for private placements, vcs, IPOs?
Is there such a thing as private placement comps (I believe usually the equity injection/investment is provided, but not TEV or debt involved)? What would the valuation methods for an IPO be?
added 10 years ago
Trading Comps overview class
Hi,
So pratically speaking, when should we adjust for the impairment of assets? Because some companies here had this charge in the IS and we didn't adjust for them. So, what are the circumstances where an adjustment is required?

Cheers.
added 10 years ago
Complex Trading Comps Analysis Treatment of gross profit
Haven't we overstated TGT's gross profit by including the net credit card revenues in our revenue line but excluding the "Credit card expenses" amount from our gross profit?
added 10 years ago
Complex Trading Comps Analysis: Fair Value of Debt
Is it not more appropriate to use the fair Value of Debt (given in footnote 5 in F-15) versus the Book Value of Debt less Capital Leases Obligations as shown in the Video?

Thanks.
added 10 years ago
Complex Trading Comps: Stock comp transition under 123(R)
Why didn't we include an adjustment for the stock comp charge upon transition to FAS 123(R)? F-28 states that compensation cost for 2005 includes $32 million ($20 million after tax) of costs related to the changes required by the adoption of 123(R). If we aren't adjusting for general non-cash st... Read More
added 10 years ago
Complex Trading Comps Analysis: Weighs question
I ahve one question which may sound really silly and i would like your help. In the complex trading comps analysis we estimated the appropriate weighs in cells I21:I23 by using hard inputs in cells H21:H24. Could you please tell me how we reached to the numbers in the H column? (i.e 20, 100 and 1... Read More
Show All 3 Replies Login to Reply
added 10 years ago